Monday, January 30, 2012

Green Smoothies - getting the raw greens into the littles

I can't believe how crazy life can get with a 18 month old! Baby T never stops, in fact the only thing she has stopped lately (thank goodness only on occasion) is napping and sleeping through the night! Blarg, seriously I hope this is just because she is achieving some major developmental milestones and adding 3 or 4 words a day, a day! 


Back onto task, I wanted to share one of my favourite recipes that is convent but also the best way I know how to get some major good stuff in my little one.  I first got hooked on green smoothies right after Baby T was born and would go buy them at $6 a pop, it was a great way for me to take care of myself whilst breastfeeding and dealing with a newborn. When Baby T started  solids I shared these smoothes which she loved! The problem was my wallet was feeling this love for green smoothies. I decided to make them at home but keeping Kale, mint and spinach in the fridge just for smoothies was taking up too much room and I found that making them was a little too evolved so I decided to make it more efficient. So out of that I started making green smoothie cubes! 






Green Smoothies Cubes 


1 bunch Kale
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch mint
1 bottle coconut water (make sure it is the water and not juice, the ingredients should just say coconut water)




I split the washed veggies and mint two and blend them to a puree in my blender. After blended I pour them in ice cube trays to freeze. Once frozen I transfer them into bags to store in the freezer.




Making a green smoothie: 


2 or 3 green smoothie cubes
hand full of frozen fruit (we always have mixed fruit, blue berries, strawberries and mango on hand)
big piece of banana 
coconut was or juice 
2 table spoons of hemp hearts  




Blend together and it should make enough for a little one and yourself. 


Smoothies are so versatile and you could make tons of different combinations, add yogurt or chia, speralina, add coconut oil for extra fats ,add different veggies? Options are endless. Making them different also keeps Baby T's interest in smoothies. 


Baby T with a green smoothie mustache! 











No comments:

Post a Comment