Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Eggs For Easter And For Fun!

You know those easter eggs you can get this time of year? The plastic ones that you can open up and put things inside... they are fantastic! Get them... seriously go out and buy some. These treasures are great and not just for easter they truly are great little open-ended wonders with endless possibilities! Due to the fact that they are open ended and you can do so many things with them I justify buying plastic for use as a toy. I am not a plastic lover for many reasons but I will save that for another post. 






So what to do with these beauties? Well I will share the first little exploration I created for Taya... SHAKERS! It really is too easy, fill them with what you have around the house. 


I filled them with Nutrios/cheerios, lip balm container, another small container and a wood ball that goes onto of our wooden stacker. I don't leave Baby T alone with these as some things might be choke hazards plus part of the activity is for us to explore them together... I'll explain in  moment. 


I placed the eggs in a muffin tin to make them easy to grab as without it they can get a bit roly-poly which is unnecessary frustration to start an activity with.  


At first I just let Baby T explore the eggs. Being a former preschool teacher I tend to run a commentary on what she is doing when we explore things together and that goes something like this; "what's that Baby T?", "are you picking up the purple one?". " is it heavy" etc etc. This keeps me engaged but more importantly it helps develop her language and puts labels to things and helps make meaning out of what she is doing.  


After a little exploring on her own I suggested shaking the eggs, which she did. Each egg had a different weight and sound so we talk about that for a bit. She then did some more solo exploring. 


 One of Baby T's favourite way to explore things is of course her mouth. Yum?


A few other things that you can do with the eggs: 
Bath time toys
Sand toys 
Filling and pouring toys (use sand, water, rice- best with kids that don't put everything in their mouth!)
Hid and seek toy (use open eggs and hide items underneath some of the halves- great game) 
Playdogh- great for cutting or filling 
Dramatic kitchen play
Dramatic play scenes 


What would you do with the eggs??? Would love to hear your ideas and try them!


Hope you enjoy and have fun with these! 

No comments:

Post a Comment